wikipedia says: "Shipping is a general term for emotional and/or intellectual involvement with the ongoing development of romance in a work of fiction."
What that means in general terms is that this community is for posting pictures of romantic relationships from TV shows, movies, comic books, video games, etc., implied or otherwise. THE COMMUNITY IS NOT JUST FOR X-FILES EVEN IF THE PHILES COINED THE TERM. Just to reiterate that.
WHAT YOU SHOULD POST: 1. Pictures involving shipping 2. Requests for pictures you cannot find yourself 3. Icons involving shipping (limit three icons outside of an lj-cut) 4. Wallpapers or other manipulations involving shipping 5. Links to communities involving shipping (ie promotion) BUT ONLY WITH A PICTURE
WHAT YOU SHOULD NOT POST: 1. Fanfic 2. Fanart 3. Posts not containing either a picture or a request for a picture - SUCH POSTS WILL BE DELETED 4. Pictures that fall outside of the category of allowable pictures (see below) 5. Large or multiple (ie more than one) pictures outside an lj-cut 6. Spoiler pictures outside an lj-cut or without a warning (see below for what qualifies as a "spoiler") 7. NO HOTLINKING. www.photobucket.com if you need somewhere to upload to.
Rules about pictures: To me, the word "shipping" generally refers to a fairly standard male/female romantic relationship. That's what I tend to be exposed to in reference to the word, anyway. But other relationships may be posted as well. I'm not a huge Buffy the Vampire Slayer fan, but it works well for examples.
1. You can post any picture involving any heterosexual relationship, whether it ever happened in the fandom or not. ie Angel/Buffy, Spike/Buffy, Spike/Willow, Xander/Anya, Xander/Willow, Xander/Buffy, Giles/Buffy... etc. The pictures can be in character or not.
2. You can post any picture involving any homosexual relationship established by the fandom. ie Willow/Tara. The pictures can be in character or not.
3. You can post in character pictures involving any homosexual relationship not established by the fandom. ie Angel/Spike. That means no pictures of David Boreanaz and James Marsters just milling about in the street. They have to be directly fandom related.
4. I don't know if I need to mention this or not but noooo incestual pictures of the blood-relation variety. They can be related through marriage (ie step-parents/siblings, brother/sister-in-law, whatever) but they cannot be related by blood.
5. No pictures of celebrities who are dating/married unless they were in a TV show or movie together. And even then, this is supposed to be about the characters for the most part, not an excuse for you to post pictures of your favorite actor or actress. There are other places to do that. So don't go overboard.
Spoilers: I'll be simple about this. Spoilers only apply to screenshots, and they're only considered spoilers for a month after they first premiere... wherever it is that they premiere first. Promo pictures don't count, magazine pictures don't count, pictures from trailers don't count... etc. If whatever it is has been out for 30 days, you can spam it all you want, regardless of what type of picture it is, without a spoiler warning. Otherwise, please be considerate of other people and just mark your post with "*Spoiler*" or such. Especially with shows that air first in other countries before they air in the United States (such as Stargate). And don't go spoiling with text either. :P
& omg plz id ur ship when u post omg!!! Errr... I mean, please identify who you're posting pictures of outside the lj-cut so people can find the posts they're interested in and avoid the ones they're not. At least identify the fandom, please.
I think that's it. All posts must include a picture, utilize the lj-cut feature, and don't post non-shippy pictures. Have fun.